Friday, April 9, 2010

In Your Face..Part 2

A few weeks back I thought id get a little blog adventurous and spark a bit of a theme over the next few months focusing on outstanding production, drilling down on instrument specific sounds that stand out on a track.

In Your Face Part 1, I took a look 10 joints with a distinctive bass. By the time I got to the end of the ten I realised I'd still missed a few classic examples that I felt had to be done.
I wont bite off too much so I'm going to leave you with another five of my personal favourites with that bass that should get the boot and bumper rattling on the hoopty.

Showbiz & AG - Next Level (Nyte Time Mix)
Producer : DJ Premier

An all time classic album, Incredible production throughout from the baddest mar fuckers in the game. I'm slightly biased with this one as Andre's one of my favourites to ever grace the mic. Premo doing what he does best on this remix. Sample taken from Maynard Ferguson's - Mister Mellow.

"No surrender and no retreat"





Eric B. and Rakim - Dont sweat the technique.
Produced by Eric B.

Sax, snap backs, bass slaps, and bitches with back. This Clip stinks of the early 90's with bad bomber jackets, leather snap back caps, bitches with perms, heavy chains and pendants and of course Eric B throwin' off his best ice grill.
I think "Paid In Full" should also get a mention but this fretless jazzy bass melody lifted for the track accompanied with the sax and drum break holds a little more weight for me as far as how well pronounced the bass rolls throughout.
No sure were the bass is from on this one sorry.

"Mc's wanna beef when I play for keeps"



Notorious BIG -Juicy
Produced by Sean "Puffy" Combs.


Taken from the debut LP Ready to die, this being the 1st single. After the little high hat intro with keys and that tight pop and slap bass comes through the break you'll know why I chose this. Sample jacked from the tragic 80's track Juicy Fruit. The 12" features an instrumental remix by Pete Rock. In my opinion the remix comes nowhere close without that bass and drums throughout.

"Fuck all you hoes. Get a grip"





Alkoholiks - Only When I'm Drunk
Produced by E-Swift


Taken From The Liks 1st LP. This break section notably features on It's My Thing by EPMD off Strictly Business which came out prior to this 93 release. To be honest I'm more a fan of Tash and J-Ro going back and forth on this, plus I think E-Swift is an extremely underrated DJ/Producer.
The track Seven Minutes of Funk has been passed around like a cheap slapper through the hip hop generations. From Kurtis Blow to Gravediggaz, Jay-Z and more recently on Giantz ta thiz from NYGz Album, Welcome to G-Dom with Premo using the same section. The effect on the bass is fucking timeless and catchy as all shit aint it!

"I get drunk and I stumble to the phone and conjure up a bitch to bone when I'm alone"







Phat Kat feat. Elzhi
Produced by J.Dilla

Fight music right here. Downtuned and thickened up with a dope progression. I know its not a bass maybe a clavinet? shit is relentless. Dilla's choped it that nice you couldn't even pick it.
As for the spits, Phat Kat murks this withing the first two bars. The power in his voice in that last verse make me want to go out and break something!
I never pick up the lp this was taken from but I've heard mixed reports.

"Jumping out with long barrels with expansion clips"




Post up any more you can think of in the comments!

No comments:

Post a Comment